Wednesday, October 19, 2011

self-portraits 101.

Did you know that self-portraits are rather difficult? No, I don't mean the kind where you hold the camera out in front of your face with both hands, stick on your cheesiest grin, and blink in the flash that captures shiny hair and your outstretched arms.

Nope, I mean the kind that are creative, focused, and well-lighted. The kind that don't even look like a self-portrait. :]

I don't really like to take tons of pictures of myself, mainly because I don't need to. Who does? ;) But, photography-skills-enhancing, creative, good quality self-portraits are another matter, and I try to practice with them even if I don't end up keeping the photos.

As a sort of "photography portfolio," I thought I would show you some of my most recent works that have turned out alright. I have a few in black-and-white, and then their copies in color--tell me which ones are your faves! :]


I love natural light. That is why I do most of my photography outside. Lighting that comes from the side, especially--back light is also an addiction of mine. I love the way black-and-white photos enhance the back light and make everything whiter, more crisp. The color version of this ^ photo is below.

 

My serious face. :] I kinda like the way this ^ one turned out; I personally like the black and white version better.  Oh-- :) linking the black-and-white one up to:

 



I like the way this ^ one focused--I feel like my eyes stand out as much as they're supposed to, but not too much (as is sometimes the case). This is a pretty background that I just had to make the most of. ;)


Okay, ^ pretty amatuer--you can kinda tell this is a self-taken shot. Not to mention the silly un-pro face. ;) But it turned out pretty clear, which is always a step, and somehow this seems pretty me. ;) Maybe a little more goofy than usual..maybe. ;)


I don't think I should have rounded the edges here--I can see how cutting off some of my face sort of ruined the pose. Also, the background..yeah, a little too woodsy for me. :] I guess this is an example of what not to do. I sort of like the coloring, though..


This ^ is a good example of front-light. Makes me look a little pale, but I like the pink tones and full, leafy background. One good thing about practicing photography on myself is I can scout out good backgrounds for future "actual person" photoshoots. :D


^ This is a more unique one. ;) Experimenting with a plain background and indoor-lighting here, as well as a second object in the foreground. Hmm. Weird-ish, aye? :o)

-----------------------------------------------

In case anyone's wondering, my camera is a point-and-shoot Nikon which rarely focuses and also rarely turns on, actually. :] So, as amatuer as these may be, I gave myself a pat on the back for managing clear(ish) photos at all. ;)

24 comments:

  1. You're absolutely gorgeous Lucia!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you. are. GORGEOUS!!!

    I just *love* 2#...I kind of like the more "serious" types of pictures.

    Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are GORGEOUS Lucia!! These shots are really really beautiful.

    p.s. I'm having a self-portrait contest at Rise and Fly with prizes! You should enter! It ends tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're really pretty! I like the smiling pictures more, but in the second one your skin looks sooo smooth. Do you use makeup or photoshop? God made you dead drop gorgeous. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are wonderful! You are so beautiful, and I love the lighting in those shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of them Lucia! These are really amazing shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! I like all of them! You're sooo pretty and creative, Lucia! I love your eyes(:

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooo! I love all of these, but my favorites are... #1, #3, #4, #5, #8, and #9. :) Beautiful!!! :D

    thatsmilingblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so pretty Lucia! The serious pictures are my favorites but I also love your bright georgeous smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one as your new profile pic is probably my fav, but I love the "vintageness" of the last one!

    theyogurtgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you're SO pretty!!! I LOVE those photo's. Self portraits are nice when you get them right. ;) Love your smile. :) :D

    ~Bri xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do I take a picture of my self with out a tripod? We have one but it broke.:( how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in love with all these pictures.. I'm gonna have to try ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful woman! I absolutely fail at taking self portraits...but am strangly addicted to taking them. Funny how that is. I must say that my favorite is when the camera is held above you and the lighting is coming from the side...it makes your eyes 'pop' really nicely.

    www.randomnessfromtheaddiecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are soooo pretty!! I love your eyes! The perfect blue like my dads. Thank you for sharing these!

    PolkaDot
    zebrastripeandpolkadot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. my favorites are one, three, and five {especially the focus}. you are beautiful, by the way!

    this-real-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucia! These are gorgeous photos! ;) You are beautiful!!! LOVE the fifth one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, I'm going to "copy" everyone else and say "You are GORGEOUS!!"

    The photos are awesome, I've been practicing my selfies, *ahem* they aren't turning out near as well as yours. :( Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just to inform you, you've been 'drawn' by me. It's not very good - but you're famous! hehe. ;) http://www.ismikendra.org/2011/10/spot-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are beautiful Lucia! All of these pictures are great but my favorites are # 1 #3 #5 #6 and 7.

    ReplyDelete
  21. girl you are BEAUTFUL!! i can't get over it. AND! in addition to being beautiful, you are such a great photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. High Lucia, thanks for your comment on my blog, I appreciate that you took the time to say hello!
    Your self portraits are lovely!

    ~Elissa

    ReplyDelete

Aw! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They make me smile. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...