Thursday, January 12, 2012

comfort food // buttermilk biscuits


Comfort food. Those warming, homey goodies that give you a certain feeling which surpasses all the French bonbons and caramelized pears in the world. And that's one thing I love about America. We may not have cultured manners or caviar, but we have friendly food--and we do it right. 


It was cold today. Bone-chillingly cold. Sure, the sun was shining and the sky was blue (typical crazy northwestern winter weather over here), but the chill that was in the air made it a day for comfort food. 


When I think "comfort food," I think curling up in a big, over-stuffed sofa with my fuzzy socks on, a big bowl of chicken noodle soup--and buttermilk biscuits. I didn't accomplish the curling up part today, but we had some chicken soup and a good recipe for biscuits handy. 


So, I took the opportunity. 


>>Comfy Buttermilk Biscuits 

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tblsp. sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 tsps. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup buttermilk 

Preheat over to 450 degrees.

Cut shortening into sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder, criss-crossing two knives together until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Then add the buttermilk and mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.

Roll or pat the dough on a hard, slightly floured surface until it is 1/2 inch thick. Using desired cutter, cut shapes and place on pan. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until the tops are slightly browned. 



...And just f.y.i., strawberry jam + buttermilk biscuits is always an upgrade. :] 


What is your comfort food? 


-lucia 


ps~ that recipe was all from memory. so trust me on this, but if your biscuits taste funny just blame me. ;) 

22 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! That sounds fantastic! I may just have to make these! I am adding to my Pinterest recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! My comfort food is totally tea or coffee or toasted cheese sandwich and pickles.. maybe weird, but it is so good!
    p.s. your photography is ahh-mazing!
    I especially like the one with the bowl of jam and the stack of biscuits. (the focus on the biscuits is so perfect!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, this looks yummy, Lucia. Oh, and I just LOVE your new design so much! I always love the horizontal headers that are images like that :). Please keep it that way for a while :).
    Love in Christ,
    ~Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum!!! thanks for sharing the recipe, Lucia.

    I also wanted to thank you SO SO SO much for your sweet comment on my blog...it's such a blessing to hear encouragement from dear friends.

    xoxo,
    Grace
    postscript :: what program are you editing your photography with???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomorrow, I may have to make those ;) I love how you made them into hearts! Just the recap of your day made me feel comfy cozy...I think I'm going to have a purposely cozy day tomorrow! We are supposed to get some crazy snow...it may work out ;D
    ~Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious and the pictures are great too! :) Btw, I meant to comment on your photo shoot post but never got around to it. Great photos there too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have caused my mouth to water.

    Your pictures are just delicious. ;)

    Before we went gluten free my family loved to make buttermilk biscuits. I will always remember their taste. Soooooo comforting, warm, and buttery.

    I love your new design, and by the way, I'm cooking up a blog design in my head and once I've had time to finalize my ideas, I'll e-mail you with an order. ;)

    ~Madi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I love homemade biscuits. I'm not sure if there is anything better. Simplicity at its best.

    -Carli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look MARVELOUS. Drooling over here. And I love your photos :)

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm... love buttermilk biscuits! You are so right about American comfort food. But many countries seem to have their own... and it always seems to originate from the simple folk. :)

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. MM I love buttermilk biscuits... they are definitely good comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, Yum, YUM! I love the new header and all the biscuit pictures! : )

    <3,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmmm... comfort foods are my friends! Some of my favorites are soups. Any kind of soup but especially chicken noodle, sausage bean chowder, and cream cheese chicken soup. And don't forget the potatoes...and the potpies...and the fresh homemade bread straight from the oven with melted butter.

    I think I will put your recipe on Pinterest in my recipes to try cattegory. :) Do you have Pinterest? I'm pretty new to it and still have a lot to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely tea(yep people in England drink it A LOT! ;P)and cookies right out of the oven :) and soups and biscuits too! mmmmmm
    Oh and sausage rolls....

    btw, good pictures!

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm, looks delicious! My mother makes the most amazing chicken noodle soup - I would love to have those with it. :) And the recipe sounds pretty right - it doesn't seem to be missing anything, nor wrong. (I've been baking biscuits since I was about 6. :D)

    xoxo,
    ~Bree

    p.s. Knowing how design-savvy I am, your probably not surprised that I quite enjoy the new look. Splendid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think there is just something special about biscuits that make them the perfect comfort food. Besides chocolate ;) Biscuits and soup, or biscuits and sausage gravy, are very much my favorite comfort foods. :)
    I love the one where you labeled it "Biscuit-->" So yummy! Thanks for the recipe :)

    In Christ Jesus,

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks YUMMY! I might just have to try them sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I awarded you!
    http://kidsstuffnews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the heart-shaped biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made these today and they are... FABOLOUS!!!!!!!! I made star shaped ones! Mmmmmm...
    My comfort food is probably Apple Jolly Ranchers... yay for sugar!!!

    gRaCiE <3

    ReplyDelete

Aw! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They make me smile. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...