Friday, July 22, 2011

a town called mayberry.

I grew up watching the old films. "Mary Poppins," "Bed Knobs and Broomsticks," "The Swiss Family Robinson..." Mom and Dad were careful {and still are} of what we watched, and we certainly didn't mind. I loved the oldies, and always will. Black and whites were the best; it always saddened me when an old show got colored. It just didn't seem right! Black and white just...captures the personality of our grandparents and great-grandparent's time so vividly.

One show that will never grow old for me is the "Andy Griffith Show." There's Andy Taylor, the sheriff, Barney, his clumsy and extremely comical deputy, and of course good old Aunt Bee Taylor and Andy's little cutie, Opie. They all reside in a perfect little town called "Mayberry," where gossips set the town feuding with one rumor, Floyd the Barber catches burglars, and the Diner always serves its special to Barney and his girl.


Ah...I love Mayberry. I love its innocence. I love its charm. I love its vulnerability to disaster. The '50s style storefronts, the drugstore soda fountain, the everybody-knows-your-name atmosphere. It was my dream home, back in the day. And it's characters...there isn't one I don't like. Truly. 

Oh, Aunt Bee..I always felt the urge to wrap my arms around Aunt Bee's squishy body and give her a big hug. She just looks like a huggable kind of person. I love huggable people. ..And sit beside her as she knitted in the evenings...listen in while she gossiped on the phone with Clara...


Barney. Now, Barney is the type of person I would get fed up with easily. Watching him on television is a completely different matter...he cracks me up. End of story. :)


Andy, Gomer, Opie, Floyd, Clara, Ellie, Thelma Lou...I could write an entire report on each of them. But I'll stop here. :)

Do you remember Mayberry? I do. I always will. But I think a part of America's heritage was lost when towns started becoming less like Mayberry, and more like mini-New Yorks. People are getting so caught up in technology and "change," that they are beginning to lose even the simplest joys of life. Like sitting on the porch drinking ice cold cherry coke...

Sometimes it feels like this world is spinning faster

Than it did in the old days
So naturally we have more natural disasters
From the strain of a fast pace


Sunday was the day of rest
Now its one more day for progress
And we can't slow down
Cause more is best
It's all an endless process


Well I miss Mayberry
Sitting on the porch drinking ice cold Cherry --- Coke
Where everything is black & white
Picking on a Six String
Where people pass by and you call them by their first name
Watching the clouds roll by...

("Mayberry," by Rascal Flatts)

::sigh::

..I miss Mayberry.

p.s. (last post from me for a while...the beach is coming up! i am now handing you over to my guest posters. and...new look? you like?)

19 comments:

  1. Mayberry is so adorable! I love it! It's so true that we need to get back to truly enjoying and treasuring the simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching a few episodes of the "Andy Griffith Show" a few years back, but I never really liked it that much though. Mainly because I didn't grew up with it at a young age, but I'm glad that you did though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barney is my FAVOURITE!!!!!!

    From your head down to your feet, there is nothing half so sweet, as Juanita...=P

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! And:

    The new look is FABULOUS! It's so beautiful and yellow! Very cheerful!

    And have fun at the beach! =) Looking forward to reading all the guest posts...but we'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I LOVE your new blog design, name, and....everything! It's so adorable. :)

    Second, The Andy Griffith Show is my favorite old time sitcom. Love Barney! He totally cracks me up. :)
    And I LOVE that song by Rascal Flatts.

    Have a lovely day! xxxx~Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss Mayberry, too!! I am always telling my mom I almost wish I could have lived back then,lol! And, yes, I LOVE your new look!! Have fun at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE <3 that song by Rascal Flatts!! so true.
    and love the new look as well! very summery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing better than cuddling up with a blanket and watching episode after episode of The Andy Griffith Show. It's like coming home. :)
    The Apple Dumpling Gang was another one of my favorites too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Andy Griffeth Show! My favorite character has almost always been Andy though, because he such a great fatherly figure to everyone, not just Opie! (Who is downright adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I remember watching this show :) i will never forget it. Old shows are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never watched Mayberry, but it does like nice! :)

    Your new design is very nice, although I think I liked the old one better. But this new one is growing on me and I love the yellow and grey!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Andy Griffith Show is a favorite of mine as well! I've always though it would be fun to live in a small town like Mayberry. I also enjoy Gomer Pyle USMC, a spin-off from the Andy Griffith Show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you NOT remember Mayberry? :-D

    My Grandfather is actually a lot like Andy Taylor, same haircut and laid back attitude. So much so, It's scary. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had just been thinking of writing a post about Mayberry! :) It is just...wow. It would be my dream to live there, even if I had to give up the computer :). Everything is so sweet and honest and innocent. Everything ends well.

    LOL...my dad just said, "Let's watch an Andy Griffith Show", from the other side of the room. ;-)

    I agree with you on Barney. I would be furious with him if I actually had to work with him, but on TV...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved & still love The Andy Griffith show <3 I wish times were like that again!
    Beautiful post, dear. :)
    -Rachel Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely agree with you! Black and white shows have and will always be the best! The Andy Griffith show was a good one, I loved I Love Lucy too. I could go on about this forever, but I won't. I love your blog and this post made me smile. I'm glad that teens know those shows and appreciate that things are so different now. I'm not much older than you but it's still nice to see. Keep up the amazing blog.
    P.S. LOVE the blog makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally agree!! I love the Andy Griffith Shows.(:
    By the way, I really enjoy your blog! I just found it today and have had fun reading all your posts. Great job!

    this-real-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE the Andy Griffith Show! I think it is great how they provide shows like this to watch nowadays so even though we didn't grew up around this time, we can still tell our grandchildren about it =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Life back then is really simple...I wish I was born and grew up in Mayberry!

    ReplyDelete

Aw! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They make me smile. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...