Friday, July 29, 2011

Modest Summer Outfits {Guest Post by Emily}

Hi! I’m Emily, and I blog over at Practically Pink. I live in a small town in NC with my family; my wonderful father, my older sister, Katie (21), and my younger brother, Andrew (almost 14). Also, you might already know this, but my mother just recently passed away due to lung cancer. We are a Christian family and are trusting in Him as we start this new chapter in our lives. He is going to help us through this difficult time, but we just have to lean on Him and walk by faith. My little corner of the internet is a snapshot of our life, mixed with an assortment of many other things that catch my eye on a daily basis. Come on over and say hello! I would love to "meet" ya'll!

First off, I want to say thank you to the lovely lady that runs this blog, my beautiful blogging friend, Miss Lucia.  She emailed me last week and asked if I would do a fashion or a recipe post while she was away, so I got to thinking about how hard it is for some of us to create modest outfits for summer that aren't very hot.  Summer is by far the hottest season of the year, right? But being hot is no reason to dress immodestly! So what’s a girl to do?  Here are a few tips that I use to stay cool (and be modest) during the extremely warm months in North Carolina.  I promise you that there are plenty of ways to look cute without wearing tube tops and mini skirts. 

{1}  Find a cute sundress or two-
Photoshoot-with-Moriah--June-2011-01[7]I actually like wearing a casual dress and flip flops better than pants in the summer.  Dresses are normally sold in cool light fabrics for the summer and most of the time they are pretty affordable!  I've found quite a few at Target, Walmart, and JCPenny.  You know what the huge plus is about wearing dresses?  You have instant air condition if you stand near a floor air vent.  Yes, I've done that before. =)

{2} Just add a cami or cute tank top-
Layering can be hot at times, but you can easily solve that by layering with light colored cami’s and tanks. I highly recommend that you invest in some high-quality tanks and camis to wear beneath tops and dresses.  Most of the time you can just add a tank underneath a shirt and make it look "decent" instead of having to pass it up.  I used to think that if a shirt was kind of low in the store then I couldn't buy it at all, but sometimes you can fix it by adding a little something or tacking it where it is low.


{3} Look for some blouses-
After regular comfy t-shirts, my favorite type of shirt is a cute blouse. They are so feminine and pretty! Plus, they are normally quite modest and perfect for summer!  Try looking for a few to pair with some skirts and make some new outfits for church or something. 


{4} Buy or make some skirts-
April2011part20442_thumb2wiww20531_thumb7wiww20061_thumb5
Skirts are absolutely perfect for summer! Most are light-weight and you can do almost anything in them.  I like to wear simple skirts made of cotton and denim, but there are lots of different types of skirts that help you to be able to “breathe” in the warm temperatures.  Summer weather in North Carolina can be almost unbearable at times (most days get up to the upper 90’s or 100's), so I have to find clothes that will be comfortable. 

{5}Capris and Bermuda Shorts-
 WIWW #4- May 096_thumbWIWW4May0641_thumbWIWW4May0971_thumb
I love to wear skirts and dresses, but I am not the type of girl that wants to wear them throughout the entire summer.  I'm not saying that I don't want to look feminine, but for us girls that do lots of activities that you can't wear a skirt to do, then capris and shorts are a must! (hiking, biking, running, and much more!) You can find lots of different styles nowadays that will fit most body shapes and that have different lengths to choose from, so they aren’t uncomfortable.  Everyone is different, so this might not be your favorite way to keep cool, but I just thought I would throw it out there.  You just have to be careful to not get any that might be too short or tight in certain areas.  *Ahem*  =) 


There you go, ladies!  Those are my five tips on creating summer outfits that allow you to stay cool
(and modest) at the same time.  One of these items is sure to help you this summer, no matter what you might be doing.

Thanks again for letting me guest post, Lucia!

Love In Christ,
Emily

10 comments:

  1. Neat tips! I like the sundress that your wearing. It looks really great on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips, Emily! Thank you for posting! :D I don't wear capris or shorts, but I do like wearing culottes during the summer. I like the idea of light layering; I have a see-through long-sleeve blouse that I actually wear during the summer since it's such a light material, and I have a cami to go underneath and a pair of leggings. I know a lot of girls don't like leggings but I do enjoy them for long shirts...anyway, I think I've rambled enough now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    These are wonderful tips! I really enjoyed reading this post. ;)

    Haha...yep, I love to stand over a vent when it's hot, too!

    Love,
    Moriah

    P.S. Congrats on your fist guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Emily! Your fashion sense is so cute :) <3

    Blessings,

    xox Miss ALK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Emily! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on modest fashion... I greatly enjoyed reading!

    Many Blessings,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Emily! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great post, Emily! I loved all your tips. :)

    Have a blessed day in Christ,
    Elizabeth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post, bestie!! & i gotta say, i put all those tips to use here in our HOT summers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those tips are great! I wear all of those styles in summer and spring and they're so cumfy and cool! (especially when it's hot in summer!)
    But I guess I can't use those tips now as it is the middle of winter and quite cool : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the wonderful ideas!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Aw! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They make me smile. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...