Monday, July 25, 2011

Thankful in the little things| Guest post by Johanna

Hi! My name is Johanna, I'm the blogger at Growing up on a Farm.
I thought I should first tell you a little bit of my background history before I officially start this blog post :)

I was born in Erbach, Germany because my Dad and Mom we’re missionaries in Romania. Together they were there for a little over 11 years. I don’t remember most of it though, I was just a little girl. 

When I was about 6-ish we moved back to the US and a few years (and a few more children) later we we’re living on our 37 acre farm in the big 'ol beautiful Lone Star State of Texas. 




 No hobby farmers here :) We raise 400 chickens, 4 Adult Large black hogs... and their 13 piglets (more on the way) 7 milk goats, cows, 6 great Pyrenees dogs, and 3 Pyr mixes, 1 big ham, aka- Bow, our Weimaraner, way to many barn cats cats for our own good, and the miscellaneous little birds that run around here and squawk at us (Read, geese, peacocks, ducks, etc...)



 Being out on the farm is such a wonderful way to grow up, anyone who does can testify to that!  But it can get busy, and hectic, sometimes I feel like the whole world is spinning out of control and I'm the reason for it.  That's normally when I realize that I haven't stopped, just sat still, and listened to God.  Sometimes it happens when it's late at night and I'm rushing around trying to get my evening chores done, maybe milking the goats, and I'm tired, and frustrated, and just mad about everything, when I'll here that Still Small Voice calling to me out of the peaceful dark night. "Johanna," it says, and then I remember.  Most of the time He just wants me to be still, listen, and pray. 

As a human I can say that, I just never learn!  
When it's 3:00 in the morning and I can't sleep because one of the little kids just woke up with a scary dream and snuggled into my bed with me, it always makes me really mad. 

I want to take it out on God and ask Him "Why me?" But every time this happens, suddenly with embarrassment, I remember that I didn't read my bible today, and I forgot to pray for so-and-so like I promised I would.  
It doesn't take long until I've read and prayed for everyone on my prayer list when I fall into a peaceful sleep and when it's time to wake up in the morning I have such a better look on life.




This is what God is teaching me, to love the little things, what normally would be called a horrible nights sleep, turns into a wonderful time where it's just me and Jesus. 

Slowly, oh so very slowly, I'm learning to be thankful, for everything in life.  

Taken with an iPhone.... man... 
   
This post started out as being something silly about farm life, I guess God had other ideas! :)

God Bless you today!
Love with all my heart,
Johanna

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Yes yes, amen! Thank God for these little cute animals indeed. ^w^ Life as a kid of missionaries must be pretty interesting and inspiring! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty cool that you were born in Germany and that your parents were missionaries! :) It sounds like a lot of work of having so many animals.
    I'm glad that your growing closer to the Lord. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sun photo is beautiful!

    God Bless,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the peek into your heart and the quiet moments you find on the farm, thanks for the warm smile. :)

    ReplyDelete

Aw! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They make me smile. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...