Friday, May 11, 2012

real life, real blogging // jess


{Hey there! I'm guest posting for Lucia while she's holidaying it up. I'm Jess from over at Yours Truly. So, thanks for putting up with me! Three cheers for how amazing Lucia is?}

Real life. Real blogging.

This has been on my mind lately. In the blogging world, we all have a tendency to make life look glamorous and easy and beautiful. And, at times, it is. But, at other times, life is not. Life, quite a lot of the time, is embarrassing, awkward, hard and just...well, not pretty.


I'm not going to make this post utterly depressing and I-hate-my-life-and-I'll-die-any-minute-now. Don't get me wrong; I love my life and I am happy, satisfied and content in it. So don't feel as though you're gonna be crying at the end. I mean, you can if you want to, of course. But that's up to you. On second thoughts, maybe not.
I'm going to speak for myself, but please tell me if you agree and if sometimes, we bloggers, deceive ourselves and others.

I don't wake up every morning, smiling at the sunshine and skipping into the kitchen and sitting in the dewy sunlight that streams into the kitchen while I make my morning coffee.
That's a nice thought, but really? Sometimes I wake up too late, stumble out of bed, groan at my messy hair and imperfections and then go into the kitchen to make myself a normal cup of tea and to sit down on the couch when the sky is grey and rainy outside.


When I throw my hair into a messy bun, wear hardly any make-up, chuck on some track-pants and a t-shirt, it doesn't look fashionable and I don't look amazing. It isn't glamorous, but it is life and it's okay.

I don't have money to throw around, I live in a house that is being renovated and doesn't look fantastic all the time, I have to do dishes and sometimes my bedroom is a mess. Okay, so sometimes my bedroom is a sea of things that I didn't even know I possessed.
I don't paint and draw and sew and do all things. Coz I'm not superwoman. At least, I don't think I am - but then again, I do make brownies...
My hair sometimes looks shocking all day (and then, at night, just before I go to bed, my hair looks amazing. does that happen to anyone else?) and sometimes I look and feel tired.


But guess what guys? That is totally okay! We all have lives that are wonderful at times, and very unglamorous at other times. Let's not be those I-live-a-perfect-life-and-nothing-goes-wrong-even-my-bad-days-are-good-days people. Let's really be real. And. Embarrassing life stories are the funniest. Who ever laughed with a perfect person about a perfect day? No one, that's who.

Tell me about some of your "real" life! I would really, really, really like to know. 
Oh, and I know that some other bloggers tackled this yesterday, but I drafted this post/took these pictures days ago, so I promise that I'm not copying. Pinky-promise. And we all know that pinky-promises are like Thor's hammer. The end.





heyheyhey. I'm JessI'm ridiculous. and way too talkative. and crazy loyal to my country.
I take photos, I write stories, I sing songs, I play music. and I love Jesus. so much. I am a New Zealander living in England. New Zealand is lovely. England is....cold.

I write about real life, lovely life, beautiful life, awkward life (there's lots of that, I can tell you) and amazing people.
I blog over at Yours Truly, so pop over why dontcha and say hullo! 

16 comments:

  1. Ach, lovely hair at night. Yes yes yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. And yes, I have had the whole lovely-hair-right-before-bed-thing happen to me too. super annoying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, Jess. you're just the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! You're an amazing photographer- and I think I'm going to go check out your blog right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Jess! And I know exactly what you mean about the hair thing... SO annoying. :) Anyway, awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean about hair looking great just before bed. Hey, you gotta look fabulous in case there's a cute boy in your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, girl, I love that post, because I'm mighty fed up with blogs about perfect lives written by perfect people who live in perfect pretty houses with all hand made pretty stuff. You go girl, be yourself, be real! Btw how do you set your hair in a bun like that without hair sticking out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally the "great hair before bedtime" thing. haha.
    Great post! :-)

    Lizzy
    www.lizziebutterfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog Yours Truly and you are a great photographer. That post was good, good, good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hair thing is all too familiar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very true. It's so easy to pretend that we have such a "pretty" life, if you know what I mean. And it's also easy to think that if life was totally "pretty" that it would be better. But it's really just perfect the way it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post! Thanks for the reminder that life isn't always "pretty" and "happy." The Lord uses those "not so pretty" days to cause us to trust in Him more. He has a perfect plan, and someday, we will get to see the whole picture. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Jess! I enjoyed reading about what some days are like for you. Really, we're all ordinary girls with ordinary lives. We can all relate in a way and I think it's so encouraging when other bloggers tell how it really is. So, thanks for doing that. As always, I love what you write.

    Much love and many blessings!

    ~Madi

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww I love this, Jess! amen to everything! and I'm sure your hair looks lovely every single day. ;) thanks so much for posting, hun; you're equally awesome! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. There should be a 'Realistic Blogger' award and you should get it

    ReplyDelete

Aw! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They make me smile. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...