Sunday, November 20, 2011

gnomeo and juliet // movie review


So, I'm sure all of you have at least heard something about a fairly recent kids' movie, Gnomeo and Juliet. I know it's been out for awhile, but I only saw it a few days ago, so I thought I would do a movie review. :) I love 3D animated movies; a few of the ones I've seen this year have made my all-time faves movie list ("Up," "Tangled")! Thus, when I heard about this one, I of course wanted to see it. ;)

Gnomeo and Juliet is a tale of..you guessed it: garden gnomes..and a spin off of Shakespeare's well-known tale, "Romeo and Juliet." The story takes place in the back-yards of British neighbors, a man and a woman (who dislike each other very much). You see, the woman man loves red, and the man woman loves blue (thank you to Brittany Sims for correcting me on this! How silly of me..;)--thus, the outcome:



Each has a collection of garden gnomes in their backyards. The man's gnomes are all red, and the woman's gnomes are all blue. And unbeknownst to them, the red gnomes hate the blue gnomes as much as the man hates the woman.



Gnomeo (James McAvoy)

.. is part of the Blue tribe, and, as is expected, hates the Reds with a passion. He is the son of the Blue's Queen, and is very adventurous, often wandering beyond his fence boundary.

 

Juliet (Emily Blunt)

..is a Red, the daughter of her side's King. She is also very adventurous, and longs to show the Blues who is really "tops."

So..what happens?


Yep, you guessed it. Through various circumstances, Gnomeo and Juliet meet, fall in love, and begin to realize the difficulties of "love accross the border."




..before they know it, a fight larger than the gardens have ever experience begins--and things get out of control. Soon, both they and their families are in danger.

Just in case you haven't seen it yet, I won't be a spoiler and tell you what happens/how everything turns out, but I will tell you it has a happier ending than Shakespeare's story. ;)

Some of my favorite characters:

Benny

He is so cute, with his over sized hat! Something sad happens to him..but he stays with his pal Gnomeo through thick and thin--though he makes things even more complicated by trying to help.

 Shroom

This little guy is just plain adorable. :) A mushroom who acts like a dog! Sniffs out lost gnomes, everything. Too cute--and he saves the day, too! ;)




Featherstone

..This poor guy is locked up for 20 years in a garden shed, until Gnomeo and Juliet find him and set him free. He has a sad story, but is very cheerful. I love garden Flamingos! :)

The Goons

Here are some more cute little guys with adorable big hats. :) And they have sweet little high voices, too! I love "The Goons."


" The story you are about to see has been told before. A lot. And now we are going to tell it again. But different. ... Unfortunately, before we begin, there is a rather long, boring prologue, which I will read to you now."

Haha. ^ And that is how the movie begins. :)

Gnomeo and Juliet was definitely not my favorite animated movie ever, but I thought it was pretty adorable and light-heartedly fun. The detailed animation was beautiful, and I loved the British gardens/homes. The scenes pretty much made the whole movie, for me! ;)

My enjoyment rating: 3 out of 5 stars
My guidance rating: PG, for some action/"violence," a little immodesty, etc.

---


..Have you seen it? What are your thoughts?

13 comments:

  1. Love your movie review but you have it backwards, the female owns the blue house and the male neighbor owns the red. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I saw this movie a while after I finished reading Romeo and Juliet for school. It was a very cute movie! Nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally did not like this movie... at all. I mean, I laughed once or twice, but I'd have to say it's the second-worst animated movie I've seen this year (Rio was the worst).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that movie 2 weeks ago... it is definitely not my favorite either. The story line was cute, but... It just wasn't that great in my opinion.
    Great review though!
    ~Lily bellefluerphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha...I have heard of that movie...it was actually playing at our library this past summer, but I didn't watch any of the movies playing! Sounds very interesting! (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen it before, not my favorite, but super cute. Tangled is def. my favorite animated movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was an absolutely adorable movie :)... nothing can beat a good animated show, huh?

    Moe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kinda-really-sorta want to see Gnomeo and Juliet now :)
    xoxo
    simi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love movie reviews! I didn't know you did them, but I love this! You're better at getting into it than I am. XD
    Myself and a friend rate movies on this site: http://www.decentmoviesrus.blogspot.com - It'd be great to have another member! :D

    I have yet to see this movie, but it looks at least as good as Rio.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the fun movie review...it looks cute! ;) {We don't watch many animated movies, but it looks cute anyway. :)}

    Blessings,
    ~Martha Joy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Tangled and UP, but I didn't like this movie at all. I didn't even sit through the whole thing but what I did see of it I thought was a complete waste of time. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your movie review :) I saw it a few weeks ago and couldn't stop giggling! It was so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Aw! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! They make me smile. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...